Hearing my Whirlpool washer shaking violently on its spin cycle scared me beyond belief! So, I totally understand if you’re also worried about your machine’s intense shakes.
What I’ve learned from this experience is there are different reasons for our washer’s strong vibrations. More importantly, these problems are not without easy solutions!
This article will guide you through your Whirlpool washing machine’s violent shaking. Learn its causes and how to fix them here!
Why is my Whirlpool washer shaking violently?
The main reason why Whirlpool washers shake violently during spin cycles is internal imbalance. This is due to worn-out shock absorbers or uneven laundry load.
Other causes of its intense shaking are improper machine placement or leveling and loose components.
Whichever’s the case, it’s time for you to examine your washing machine inside and out to determine the root of the problem. This article will guide you through troubleshooting your shaky Whirlpool washer.
Causes and Solutions to Your Whirlpool Washing Machine’s Violent Shaking
Every washing machine owner is bound to experience their washer’s shaking fits. When this happens, don’t let panic take over!
Here’s a list of the reasons why Whirlpool washers shake and ways to make it stop.
|Uneven load distribution||• Pause your washer’s ongoing cycle as soon as you hear its violent shaking.|
• Open your washer door and peer inside to assess your load.
• See if the clothes are tangled together or thrown to one side of the drum.
• Untangle your load and spread them around the drum to balance their weight.
• Ensure there’s enough distance and space for the load to tumble freely during the cycle.
• Close the lid securely and restart the cycle by pressing the start button.
|Overloading||• Press the stop or pause button to halt the current cycle. |
• Open your washer’s lid and check if the drum is overloaded.
• To know if you’ve overloaded your washer, measure the distance between the clothes and the top of the drum.
• There should be at least a hand-long distance between the top of your load and the drum’s rim.
• Remove the excess clothes until your load is the right amount.
• You should also remove big and thick items like blankets and bedsheets if you put them in with your clothing.
• Close the washer’s lid securely and begin a new cycle by pressing the start button.
|Uneven machine placement and leveling||• Stop your washing machine’s current cycle and unplug it from the power source.|
• Examine your washer’s feet and see if they are all installed and are the same height.
• Unlock the locking nuts of your washer’s feet before making any adjustments.
• Turn the foot clockwise to lower its level, or turn it counterclockwise to raise its height.
• Close the locking nuts securely to prevent the washer’s feet from moving.
• If the feet are all leveled equally, check the ground or floor and see if the surface is uneven.
• Find a flat surface and relocate your washer. Adjust your washer’s position.
• Plug in the washer again and turn it on to start a new wash cycle.
|Worn-out shock absorbers||• Turn your washer off and unplug it. To access the shock absorbers, unscrew and remove your washer’s front or back panel cover. |
• Locate your washer’s shock absorbers, which are placed on the sides of the drum.
• Inspect the shock absorbers for any cracks and loose bolts.
• If the bolts are loose, get a screwdriver and tighten its screws.
• If there are cracks, your shock absorbers need to be replaced.
• Order new shock absorbers from Whirlpool’s store or purchase them from hardware stores.
• To replace your shock absorbers, remove all the screws, bolts, and fasteners using a screwdriver or socket wrench.
• Detach the absorbers and grab your new parts.
• Place the new shock absorbers in the same location where you removed the damaged ones.
• Secure the bolts and fasteners using your screwdriver or socket wrench.
• Once secured, place the panels of your washer back.
• Plug in your washer, turn it on, and start a new cycle.
Get your muscles warmed up as we go ahead and fix your washer’s spinning problem step by step.
Uneven Load Distribution
When clothes get tangled together and thrown to one side of the drum, they cause a weight imbalance inside. This imbalance makes it difficult for the washer to spin, leading to its violent shaking.
Solution: Pause your washer’s ongoing cycle first so you can check the load. See if the clothes or fabrics are tangled together or thrown to one side of the drum.
Carefully remove and separate your tangled clothes. You should also sort them according to size and fabric type to avoid them knotting together.
For instance, don’t wash your blankets and bedsheets with your everyday wear.
After separating and sorting the load, spread them out inside the drum to balance their weight.
Make sure that there’s enough space for the load to tumble inside the drum freely during the wash and spin cycle.
Close your washer’s lid and restart the cycle by pressing the start button.
Overloading happens when you put too much laundry inside your washer’s drum. If your Whirlpool washer is overloaded, it will have difficulty spinning, leading to violent shaking.
Solution: Stop the current cycle and open your washer’s lid. Measure if your drum is overloaded.
To determine overloading, see if there’s enough distance between the top of your load and the drum’s rim. The space between them should measure a hand’s length.
Remove some clothes to lessen your load. You should also sort and separate your laundry according to the size and fabric type.
Washing the same type and sized clothes helps you make the most out of your washer’s drum space without overloading it.
Measure the distance between the drum’s rim and the top of your load again. If the measurement is now correct, close the washer’s lid and restart the cycle.
Uneven Machine Placement and Leveling
All Whirlpool washing machines have feet. Whether plastic or steel, there’s a tendency for them to be loose and change heights without us noticing.
The location and position of our washers can also make it unleveled. The machine’s uneven angle affects its spinning movements, causing it to shake violently.
Solution: Check your washer’s feet first and see if they’re all the same height.
If you see that they’re uneven, twist the erring foot clockwise to lower it. Turn it counterclockwise to make the foot higher.
Adjust the feet accordingly until they are all leveled. If there’s nothing wrong with your washer’s feet, the problem lies in its location and positioning.
See if your Whirlpool washing machine is standing on an even surface. Look for any humps, floor cracks, rocks, or wires underneath.
Clear out any debris that’s making your washer tilted. If the issue is chipped and uneven flooring, relocate your washer or move it to a spot with a smooth and flat surface.
Worn-out Shock Absorbers
Your washer’s shock absorbers are in charge of steadying the machine’s movements during its washing and spinning cycles.
However, the shock absorbers can get damaged over time. If there are no issues with your load, wheels, and spot, it’s time to check for any signs of wear and tear on your shock absorbers.
Solution: Drain your washer, turn it off, and remove your load. Unplug it from the power source.
To access the shock absorbers, you’ll need to open either the front or back panel of your washer.
You’ll see the shock absorbers attached to the sides of the drum and your washer’s main body. The absorbers have a black metal housing and have a cylindrical shape.
Once you spot them, inspect them for any signs of damage. If there are cracks in their body, then it’s time for you to replace the shock absorbers.
You can purchase these parts from Whirlpool’s store or any hardware store in your area. After acquiring new shock absorbers, grab your screwdriver or socket wrench.
Unfasten and detach the old and damaged shock absorbers using your screwdriver or socket wrench. Then, place the new shock absorbers in the same spot where you removed the old ones.
Screw them in securely. Put your washer’s panel back and plug it in again.
Restart your wash cycle by pressing the start button.
The sound of the Whirlpool washer’s violent shaking is truly alarming. Fortunately, the problem isn’t as dangerous and menacing as it sounds and there are easy ways to fix it!
But if you’re not confident about troubleshooting your washer on your own, call an expert to help you identify the problem and solve it. Remember, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help!